Keep your smile healthy with a dental exam in West Hills, CA
Dr. Shoffet and the team at Royal Dental Practice in West Hills, CA are committed to keeping your smile healthy. When we see a new patient, our first goal is to correct any dental problems that person may have. Our next goal is to prevent new problems in the future. That is why we advise all patients to visit us for a comprehensive dental exam and cleaning 2 to 4 times a year.
The importance of early detection and treatment
The problem with postponing dental care is that oral health problems are almost always progressive. You cannot just ignore it until it goes away because that is not going to happen. Without treatment, a small cavity will become a large one or mild gum disease will become severe. Furthermore, there are often no noticeable symptoms in the earliest stages of oral disease. It takes the trained eye of a dentist or hygienist, combined with advanced diagnostic tools, for early detection of:
- Decay – Would you know if you have a cavity? Probably not, unless it is large enough to feel with your tongue or deep enough to expose the nerve and cause pain.
- Gum disease – This infection of the gum tissue is usually painless. However, it is incredibly destructive, and it can eventually damage the ligaments and bone that support your teeth. Without regular examinations, you might not realize you have a problem until you notice your teeth becoming loose.
- Oral cancer – Although it can be deadly, oral cancer may appear to be nothing more serious than a small sore or lump, if you notice it at all. With Velscope technology, we can detect tissue abnormalities indicative of cancer before it is even visible.
- Broken teeth – Of course you would notice if you broke a large piece off a tooth. What about a little chip, or fracture? Probably not. However, damaged enamel allows bacteria to enter the tooth structure, setting the stage for serious decay. Additionally, fractured teeth can be painful, even if you cannot see any damage.
- Wear and tear – Worn enamel can make a tooth susceptible to damage. Additionally, excess, or unusual wear on teeth can be a sign of malocclusion, bruxism (grinding and clenching teeth) or other problems.
Prevention is the best cure
Preventive care or early treatment can help you:
- Preserve your natural teeth
- Avoid the pain of severe dental problem
- Save time and money on major restorations
Do not wait until you have a noticeable problem to see your dentist. Schedule a dental hygiene exam at Royal Dental Practice in West Hills, CA today. Just give us a call (818) 334-6655 to make an appointment.