A Guide to Bone Grafting to Rebuild Your Bone and Prepare Your Mouth for Dental Implants
Trauma, tooth loss, and severe gum disease can result in bone loss, making you ineligible for implant-based restorations. Dr. Roya Shoffet-Yaghoubian offers dental bone grafting services to add volume and density to your jawbone. If you have been disqualified for dental implants because of bone loss, please visit Royal Dental Practice in West Hills, California, for safe and effective bone augmentation services.
What to expect during dental grafting
Bone grafts are small samples of healthy bones surgically placed in your jawbone to promote regeneration. In dentistry, bone grafting is recommended to prepare your jawbone for the successful placement of dental implants.
While the procedure may differ from patient to patient, a typical dental bone graft involves the steps below:
- Planning: We examine your mouth to determine the extent and location of bone degeneration. Additionally, we scrutinize your medical history and current health condition to determine your suitability for oral surgery.
- Preparation: Bone grafting is an outpatient procedure carried out using local anesthesia. Patients with dental fear can request sedation dentistry for added comfort. Once you are comfortable, we will make a precise incision on your gingival tissue to access the underlying bone.
- Graft placement: Your doctor will place a bone graft in the recessed jawbone. The graft material can come from your own body (autograft), synthetic material (alloplast), a human donor (allograft), or animal sources (xenograft). After placing the graft, we suture the surgical site to allow for healing.
- Post-surgery care: Our dental team will give you instructions on how to care for the surgical site and manage any pain or discomfort. It’s essential to follow these instructions carefully to ensure a smooth recovery. You may need follow-up visits to monitor your progress.
- Fusion: Following the healing process, the dental graft fuses with your jawbone, creating a unified structure. After integration, your jawbone stabilizes, and now your dentist can proceed with implant placement.
Want to rebuild your jawbone’s strength and stability?
Please call (818) 334-6655 to schedule an appointment with Royal Dental Practice. Dr. Roya Shoffet-Yaghoubian and her team offer safe and effective bone grafting services to restore your bone to full health.