The Foundation For A “Forever Smile: A Guide To Pediatric Dentistry At Our Office
At the Royal Dental Practice, we say that “your smile is forever.” And that forever beautiful and healthy smile is ideally created in childhood. When children are exposed to good habits that promote oral health, these behaviors tend to “stick.” Additionally, visiting our office in West Hills, Los Angeles, California, will be like “second nature” to your child. Since your child will “grow up” in our dental practice, they will not fear or be anxious about visiting us for the care they need.
The Value Of Pediatric Dentistry
Our team enjoys treating children–and it shows! We know how to motivate them, speak in a way that isn’t scary, and “model” or demonstrate things like good cleaning techniques.
Before your child can use a toothbrush, we will get to know your family. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that the first visit be scheduled no later than a child’s first birthday. These visits are about helping parents and caregivers on how to best clean emerging baby teeth or gums, “tooth-friendly” nutrition, and habits or behaviors to avoid.
During regular visits, we confirm that your child’s teeth and jaws are developing “on schedule.” Healthy baby or “primary” teeth help guide permanent teeth into proper positions. Properly aligned teeth are not only easier to clean, but they also support healthy breathing, an attractive facial appearance, and many other functions.
Preventative Dentistry For Kids
We’ve highlighted some of the services fundamental to preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and other damaging oral problems.
- Dental check-ups – These routine visits are scheduled at least twice a year. They include a comprehensive examination by our gentle and skilled dentist, Dr. Roya Shoffet-Yaghoubian. She has the knowledge and technologies to pinpoint and address problems at their earliest stages before they cause pain or damage. These interventions are less invasive, easier on the patient, and more affordable than restorative treatments to treat later-stage dental disease.
- Prophylaxis – During your check-up, we will provide the “prophy” service, a fancy way of referring to “professional cleaning.” We painlessly remove the causes of gum disease and cavities from the teeth and gum line. By keeping bacteria, plaque, and tartar under control, your child’s attractive, comfortable, and healthy smile is maintained.
- Fluoride treatment – We supplement fluoride from the water supply or toothpaste with specialized rinses, gels, foams, and other professional products. The amount of fluoride prescribed to your child depends on factors such as age, presence of active disease, and risk factors for conditions like cavities. Fluoride is a safe and powerful way to maintain or restore the minerals in the enamel that protect and cover our teeth. Every child, as part of their routine dental check-up and prophylaxis visit, can have their fluoride treatment in different formats (gels, trays, or varnish) to strengthen their enamel and prevent cavities.
- Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) – SDF is a “twist” on standard fluoride treatments. It is an antibacterial solution formulated with fluoride to remineralize the teeth and silver to kill bacteria. Additionally, water and ammonia are added to maintain the concentration and effectiveness of the fluoride and active ingredients. So, once applied easily, quickly, and safely to the teeth as a liquid, SDF can provide maximum cavity protection. It can also stave off further damage to the teeth for those patients with weakened enamel vulnerable to decay.
- Dental sealants – Sealants are a proven way to prevent cavities in decay-prone areas, such as the premolars and molars at the back of the mouth. These teeth contain fissures that tend to trap food debris. The sealant is a safe material applied as a liquid to clean, dry teeth. Once hardened, it literally “seals out” food and other substances responsible for decay.
- Dental pain in kids – We have the knowledge and tools to quickly resolve pain, discomfort, swelling, and other symptoms of oral conditions. Depending on your child’s needs, a pulpotomy could be indicated for children whose baby teeth are severely decayed or infected. This process preserves the roots of the teeth and promotes continued growth. When baby teeth are preserved, they support the proper positioning and development of secondary teeth. If a tooth is not restorable, we encourage using techniques or appliances such as “space maintainers.” When baby teeth are lost, these tiny and innocuous devices “hold” or “maintain” the space. That way, your child’s teeth can develop (erupt) properly. The teeth won’t grow at an angle, and other teeth won’t shift toward the space.
Parents and caregivers also have peace of mind; as noted, we offer options to encourage healthy development, such as those space maintainers following early tooth loss. We prioritize preserving the natural teeth with dental fillings and other safe, natural-looking dental restorations; however, extractions may be recommended for cases like impacted wisdom teeth.
Get your child’s smile off to a great start or back on track. Call Royal Dental Practice at (818) 334-6655 today to schedule an appointment at our office in West Hills, Los Angeles, California.
A Case of Fused Primary Teeth at the Royal Dental Practice
It is interesting because if you look at this x-ray, the two roots are attached, the crowns are attached, and this is how it appears in the mouth.
This is a very rare incidence, and it only occurs in 0.5% of the population.
Call us at Royal Dental practice for all your dental needs.
Dr. Shoffet emphasizes the importance of dental visits for children as preventive care
Little Carmelo is our best patient ever! Check out his proud smile after his teeth cleaning!
Dr. Shoffet: How are you doing?
Carmelo: Good! My doctor cleaned my teeth today and they are super white – look!
Dr. Shoffet: Wow, I love it!
Carmelo: And plus I have some big news…
Dr. Shoffet: Wow, what is that?
Carmelo: I’m going to be a big brother!
Dr. Shoffet: Wow, wow I love that news! What’s the name going to be?
Dr. Shoffet: Oh my goodness, congratulations! You are going to make the best brother ever!
Carmelo: And guess what it is? It’s a girl!
Dr. Shoffet: Love it Carmelo – always love seeing you here!
Carmelo: Thank you!
Dr. Shoffet: Best patient ever, you are welcome!
A Happy Little Princess after Getting a Cavity Done at the Royal Dental Practice
Doctor Shoffet – Hi, everyone. This is the cavity of Violet that she presented. She is four years, and she had a cavity on one of her primary molars; and we prepped it to do the composite filling, and she lives happily ever after. She has a white tooth, a perfect pearly tooth.
Happy tooth fairy visit to Dr Roya Shoffet – Patient Testimonial
Great, you did a wonderful job.
Best kid experience in dental office – Patient testimonial
What did she do to your teeth? “She did something and it’s like clean now, and no more cavities”.
It’s always a pleasure to have you with us, Carmelo . Thumbs up!